Saturday, April 5, 2014

Training by the numbers


Here I am after my last 20 miler. Completely soaked. Really. It looked and felt like I had jumped in a pool, but obviously I didn't (because it's too cold for the right now). Anyway, today was my last long run. Boston is a little over two weeks out now, and I'm thinking about my goal. I have to be realistic, training has been fairly horrendous this training cycle, but the last few weeks have gone well...so that's positive. 

Below I have a table of my weekly mileage, my long run distance, and long run pace. I really made the table for me. Sometimes it helps to see the data in a table...

What does the data tell me? I've been inconsistent with my weekly mileage. I won't make excuses, it is what is. Given that inconsistency, it's unrealistic to think that I'll be running a personal record. That being said, I've also run 12 runs that are 20-23 miles, and that will be a real benefit (especially given my weekly inconsistencies). I did one on course 22 miler last week at 7:24 pace (my peak week), which gave me a little boost of confidence. My 20 miler on the treadmill today was at 7:07 pace (so another little boost of confidence). 

To sum it up: weekly mileage bad, long runs good. What else do I know? You can't tell from the table, but I have no speed right now. My 5K, 10K, and half marathon pace are all pretty much the same right now. That's not the greatest, but maybe it doesn't really matter for a marathon...I don't know. I guess I'll find out in two weeks.

How should I determine a goal? I've decided to go for 3:10-3:12. I'll start out a 7:15 pace and try to stay there for as long as possible. I think that's reasonable. How did I come up with that? I pretended that today's 20 miler was a time trial and plugged it into McMillians calculator and used the marathon pace it spit out to determine my goal. It might be a little conservative as I don't think I ran as fast as I could have today, but reasonable given my other training setbacks...

There you have it, by the numbers. ;)


WeekWeekly MilesLong Run Long Run Pace
141167:39:00
27117.18:21:00
366207:59:00
418107:52:00
532217:42:00
652207:30:00
760227:42:00
875237:22:00
953216:49:00
1016167:34:00
1134168:35:00
126023.47:42:00
1341207:23:00
1438168:07:00
1538207:49:00
1670237:33:00
1775227:24:00
1860207:07:00

4 comments:

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

I love the table! You've done some pretty big weeks, and then some low mileage week when you were sick. So yes, you did not have the general tiredness of the marathon due to accumulation of mileage, but you also ran crazy long runs at some awesome paces. I think you will get so much benefit from them. It's all about the long runs in the marathon. I like your plan, starting conservatively and building up if you feel good. I would not be surprised if you PR, even though Boston is a long course. In fact, I predict a PR on a good day, there, you have it! Excited for you!

Katie said...

AM: Thanks! I'm mostly glad that the last 3 weeks have been good...it was looking pretty bad prior to that. :)

Tia said...

I am way behind reading this but I'm excited for you and Boston!! Your long runs went REALLY well and you should feel prepared. I wish I lived near someone like you to do my long runs with!

Random comment- are those the Athleta stability shorts in your picture? If so, I have those same ones and love them!

I'll be tracking you on Patriot's Day- you can do it! :-)

Angela said...

Recently I have read the study, which stated the expert opinion about the basic things helping you in getting quick results. For myself, I would highlight the importance of proper recovery, which is often underestimated; and providing your body with sufficient nutrients. Supplements play very important role, since you will hardly consume all necessary compounds with your everyday meals. I am taking Super Army Formula by Military Grade. This supplement contains natural compounds, like siberian ginseng extract and caffeine. My trainings become more tough and intense. My body eagerly responds to harder exercises, so I can take maximum from each of my workouts.